Monday, March 10, 2014

Shiny Red Engine

Visited the project today.  The genset is all cleaned up, with a new lower pan built and a soft cover nearly complete.  Both the genset and Beta should have been installed later in the afternoon.

We did finally get to see the engine up close and personal.

Upon inspection, our shaft may need to be replaced.  Installed in 2009 it has two big pits in it.  It is being inspected, and likely to be replaced.  kaching.  It keeps adding up.

Ah, what the heck.  We stopped at Advanced Sails on the way out of the yard and got a quote for a new main sail...

Friday, March 07, 2014

Imagine the Swim Platform

Very preliminary mock-up of the swim platform.

J-Prop on order...

I went ahead and ordered a 19" feathering J-Prop today for the new engine install.

The exhaust hose also had signs of delamination at several points, so that has been completely replaced.

When they pulled the engine and genset they noticed that the through hull for the air conditioner seawater pump was in awful shape, so they snapped it off to make sure we replaced it.

The good news is we keep meeting people who rave about the Beta Marine engine, or have other compliments on working with Kubota diesel engines in non-marine applications.  All claim they are quiet, more efficient, and long lasting.  We shall see.

Just for extra fun, the Coast Guard called to inform us our EPIRB is reporting the boat sunk.  After assuring them the boat is hard aground we retrieved the EPIRB and pulled the plug on its battery.  It is several years past due for a battery replacement.  That is $250, a brand new one with GPS technology is $500.  Add it to the list...

Meanwhile, the exterior preparation continues.  The engine is scheduled to go in Monday or Tuesday next week, then the 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of Awlgrip begin to be applied.