Morgan Out Island 41 Blog
This is the home of Pelican, our 1982 Morgan Out Island 416 sailboat. This blog is by David & Betsy Lundeen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Monday, July 28, 2014
July 27 Update
Met with Don at the boat yesterday. Work on the deck is proceeding.
We decided to replace all six handrails on deck with Plasteak. Several were damaged beyond repair and finding exact teak replacements is difficult. Plasteak will take the old ones and use them as templates. I am mailing them off tomorrow. Will also use Plasteak for my four ladder steps up the swim platform. www.plasteak.com
Also figured out the swim ladder for the platform. It will telescope off the starboard side and slide into a pocket under the platform when put away. Will be accessible from the water should I ever fall in.
The teak rails that are used as guides for the two entry hatches have been glassed over and will be painted white. The same color as the deck. We are also eliminating the teak aft rail which is badly rotted. Again, not replacing the wood and going with fiberglass. Also going with fiberglass and no wood on the new hatches. Hatches look great, at least as they sit in boxes in the shop. So the amount of wood we will have to maintain is diminished.
I have no idea if the Plasteak will look good or awful. Worst case is we replace them in a few years.
Don is going crazy finding and plugging leaks. I think Pelican will be tighter and drier than the day it left the factory.
We have also decided to put a flying Pelican logo on the aft sides and just our name and port on the back. I think that will give us a nice distinctive look.
Splash target is early September.
Monday, July 07, 2014
July 5 Restoration Pictures
- All portlights removed, polished, and reseated.
- New Rudder Skeg
- Drainholes installed near aft port and starboard sides, plus seat over passthrough designed to remove standing water
- Deck has been sanded in preparation of new paint and non-skid applications
- New swim platform is attached. New ladder has arrived, but not installed yet.
- Stainless deck hatches on order -- will replace all 5
Monday, June 02, 2014
Monday, May 26, 2014
Sides are complete
Don Jetter did a fantastic job on the sides. We chose Snow White Revisited for the sides and flag blue for the stripes. It looks better than brand new, with perfectly straight lines and a really reflective hull. We could not be happier with how it has turned out.
Next up is a new deck, new through hulls, and finally the barrier coat goes on.
Tuesday, April 08, 2014
Engine and Genset are in the boat
We have a long way to go, but the Beta 60 and the Northern Lights Genset are in the boat. The Genset has a new pan and mounts and has been tested and tuned up. The Beta now awaits a new shaft. The J-Prop is in and its beautiful. Can't wait for it all to come together and get back out on the water.
Monday, March 10, 2014
Shiny Red Engine
Visited the project today. The genset is all cleaned up, with a new lower pan built and a soft cover nearly complete. Both the genset and Beta should have been installed later in the afternoon.
We did finally get to see the engine up close and personal.
Upon inspection, our shaft may need to be replaced. Installed in 2009 it has two big pits in it. It is being inspected, and likely to be replaced. kaching. It keeps adding up.
Ah, what the heck. We stopped at Advanced Sails on the way out of the yard and got a quote for a new main sail...
Friday, March 07, 2014
J-Prop on order...
I went ahead and ordered a 19" feathering J-Prop today for the new engine install.
The exhaust hose also had signs of delamination at several points, so that has been completely replaced.
When they pulled the engine and genset they noticed that the through hull for the air conditioner seawater pump was in awful shape, so they snapped it off to make sure we replaced it.
The good news is we keep meeting people who rave about the Beta Marine engine, or have other compliments on working with Kubota diesel engines in non-marine applications. All claim they are quiet, more efficient, and long lasting. We shall see.
Just for extra fun, the Coast Guard called to inform us our EPIRB is reporting the boat sunk. After assuring them the boat is hard aground we retrieved the EPIRB and pulled the plug on its battery. It is several years past due for a battery replacement. That is $250, a brand new one with GPS technology is $500. Add it to the list...
Meanwhile, the exterior preparation continues. The engine is scheduled to go in Monday or Tuesday next week, then the 3 coats of primer and 3 coats of Awlgrip begin to be applied.
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Cleaned Up Engine Room
The old coats of hard paint were no longer sticking to the gel coat / barrier coat. We determined it was time to remove all the old paint and start over. There was a debate between sand blasting or peeling. Sand blasting works, but is indiscriminate. So we chose the 25% more expensive peeling. The results look promising.
Now the boat sits on the hard and dries out. There are no actual blisters on the boat, but a dozen or so beginnings of blistering where the resin is delaminating. The boat will probably sit for six to eight weeks before getting a new barrier coat then a paint job.
In addition, the sides, boot stripe, and water line are being restored with Awl-Grip. Work is moving ahead there. We are also resealing most of our portlights.