Monday, July 26, 2004

Sally Morgan:

Comments on tacking the Morgan 41

My usual first sarcastic remarks to someone questioning the sailing characteristics of the Out Islanders is 'how much sailing experience have you had?' If you don't know how to sail a boat to weather anyway, it really doesn't matter does it?

Best we can determine, the idea that the Out Island 41's do not sail well evolved from a story Bill Robinson of Yachting Magazine wrote right after the first boats were out, and his comment was it didn't sail to weather like an ocean racer. It wasn't designed to.

I'll be interested in what comments you get to your note. I love the way they sail - they're fast reaching, extremely stable (don't round up in puffs), and fun to sail.

Just had to get my 2 cents in.

Sally Morgan

1 Comments:

Blogger creekwader said...

As usual, Sally was exactly right.

I used to race the Tri-state (among others) on Lake Michigan with a friend on his Beneteau 477 (wing keel). It was a fast boat, and we had a sharp, experienced crew. Every one of us did everything we could to maximize our performance. I recorded our gps tracks, and have since overlapped and compared the windward gps tracks of my Morgan 415. I believe my 415 will perform relatively as well to wind as the 477 (note: I am not saying it is as fast as the 477 on any tack - the 477 has a LOT more waterline).

When the 41' OI was new, she was the fattest, shallowest girl in the dance. She picked up the bad reputation, as she was compared with the norm: deep and skinny, with tight interior.

Many popular modern vessels are now built for interior volume and dockside appeal. They sail to wind much like the Morgan OI's, but they don't get the bad rap, as they are in good company.

In the beginning, the Morgan stood alone.

My point is that I think the Morgan OI will perform relatively well when compared with many popular modern vessels designed for accommodating interiors.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home